The Wellington College Supporting Local Community Services
Providing the Service with temporary accommodation (within the estate), during their recent station rebuild – allowing them to maintain their vital services for the community, as well as other local community initiatives – e.g. Young Firefighters Programme for the local schools.
We have been supporting our local parish church by helping to restore their Grade 2 listed lychgate. The uniqueness of the lychgate lies in the inscribed tablets within the panels of the walls, listing those that tragically fell during the First World War. We will also be assisting with the restoration of the roof, overall timber structures and the cleaning of the stonework. Moving forward, our gardeners will be assisting with the maintenance and upkeep of the surrounding landscape.
The Church of St John the Baptist was established in the late19th Century to serve the expanding modern village, with Wellington College being one of the principal patrons. The church was designed by architect Arthur William Blomfield(1829-1899) who is also responsible for the chancel at our College Chapel (1886-1889). It is with pleasure that we can continue to support this longstanding and valued relationship.